I really loved that one of the songs that you chose was Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi. I did not even think of that song, and I think it is a really great choice. I found it really hard to find songs that didn't deal with sex or could really show the aim of Hinduism and I found that really hard to do so. I think that Pursuit of Happiness is a great song, because it has nothing do with sex and instead I feel like it is a really great song that I think comes really close to showing the aim of Hinduism because I feel like from my understanding of the aim it really is a journey to find happiness and I feel like that is what the song is saying. Great selection!
Good points in your blog. You mentioned that people's first initial desire is for something pleasure based - I agree. People also of course have the desire to help others or give back. These are wonderful things. This made me think, - Why is the desire to help secondary?
How can we find pleasure in helping others?
You mentioned that you like animals... is the pleasure that you find in helping or playing with an animal any different than the pleasure from having money in your pocket?
I suspect it's a little different feeling, but the point is - it feels good.
I think this is a natural process through life where we grow in responsibility and start thinking about things outside of ourselves, and you did a good job of touching on this subject.
You picked some fantastic songs - I especially enjoyed the Louis Armstrong classic - good call.
First of all, let me just say that I love that Toby Keith song! It touches on sex and drinking and is about having all sorts of fun. One part of the song's chorus goes "Just remember when you let it all go, what happens down in Mexico stays in Mexico". This implies that the type of pleasure that the man and woman in this situation are experiencing is something that they should be ashamed of. They need to "leave" their behavior in Mexico because it is unacceptable back in their every day lives. Unfortunately, I think that lots of people in our society seek pleasure in immoral and inappropriate ways. Sure, it may feel great while it's happening but it doesn't take long for the guilt and regret to start creeping in. In Hinduism, one must seek pleasure in an intelligent, responsible way. This song, though a fun one, shows that our culture does not typically pursue pleasure in a very Hindu-like manner.
I think it's really funny that you said the Hindu aim for pleasure is because life "usually sucks" anyways. So True! I'm sure you've noticed in our culture all these moody, rebellious teens who are told they can't do what they want...but they do it anyways! I like the idea that the Hindus kind of want you to just get it all out of your system. Yeah life sucks, kids want to have sex and get wasted. Hell, adults do to! Why stifle that and just make people more miserable. They've got the right idea to keep pleasurable activities under control, too. So yeah, promiscuous sex may be fun, but when you have STDs and babies coming at ya, fun's over. I think that's what American culture doesn't understand. We are constantly trying to control people to prevent them from making mistakes, but that's life. People make mistakes, learn from them and can warn others, but ultimately we make our own choices. Hindus accept that, and press the idea that everything's good in moderation, which is something that I think get's lost in all America's anti-drug, anti-sex, anti-everything mentality.
I really loved that one of the songs that you chose was Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi. I did not even think of that song, and I think it is a really great choice. I found it really hard to find songs that didn't deal with sex or could really show the aim of Hinduism and I found that really hard to do so. I think that Pursuit of Happiness is a great song, because it has nothing do with sex and instead I feel like it is a really great song that I think comes really close to showing the aim of Hinduism because I feel like from my understanding of the aim it really is a journey to find happiness and I feel like that is what the song is saying. Great selection!
ReplyDeleteSarah-
ReplyDeleteGood points in your blog. You mentioned that people's first initial desire is for something pleasure based - I agree. People also of course have the desire to help others or give back. These are wonderful things. This made me think, - Why is the desire to help secondary?
How can we find pleasure in helping others?
You mentioned that you like animals... is the pleasure that you find in helping or playing with an animal any different than the pleasure from having money in your pocket?
I suspect it's a little different feeling, but the point is - it feels good.
I think this is a natural process through life where we grow in responsibility and start thinking about things outside of ourselves, and you did a good job of touching on this subject.
You picked some fantastic songs - I especially enjoyed the Louis Armstrong classic - good call.
First of all, let me just say that I love that Toby Keith song! It touches on sex and drinking and is about having all sorts of fun. One part of the song's chorus goes "Just remember when you let it all go, what happens down in Mexico stays in Mexico". This implies that the type of pleasure that the man and woman in this situation are experiencing is something that they should be ashamed of. They need to "leave" their behavior in Mexico because it is unacceptable back in their every day lives. Unfortunately, I think that lots of people in our society seek pleasure in immoral and inappropriate ways. Sure, it may feel great while it's happening but it doesn't take long for the guilt and regret to start creeping in. In Hinduism, one must seek pleasure in an intelligent, responsible way. This song, though a fun one, shows that our culture does not typically pursue pleasure in a very Hindu-like manner.
ReplyDeleteI think it's really funny that you said the Hindu aim for pleasure is because life "usually sucks" anyways. So True! I'm sure you've noticed in our culture all these moody, rebellious teens who are told they can't do what they want...but they do it anyways! I like the idea that the Hindus kind of want you to just get it all out of your system. Yeah life sucks, kids want to have sex and get wasted. Hell, adults do to! Why stifle that and just make people more miserable. They've got the right idea to keep pleasurable activities under control, too. So yeah, promiscuous sex may be fun, but when you have STDs and babies coming at ya, fun's over. I think that's what American culture doesn't understand. We are constantly trying to control people to prevent them from making mistakes, but that's life. People make mistakes, learn from them and can warn others, but ultimately we make our own choices. Hindus accept that, and press the idea that everything's good in moderation, which is something that I think get's lost in all America's anti-drug, anti-sex, anti-everything mentality.
ReplyDelete